Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mykonos Garden Greek Restaurant Review

This past Friday, my husband and I decided to have dinner at a Greek restaurant that we had been meaning to try out. The restaurant, Mykonos Garden is located a few miles east of Brussels center. There is a nice patio and seating for around 50 people inside. Seeing as how it was raining heavily, we opted to eat inside (we had a reservation). I had visited the website earlier in the day and found that the prices for items were still listed in Belgian Francs....I hoped that the restaurant updated their food more than they updated their prices!
The decor is in the style of any kitschy Greek restaurant that can be found in any city in the world. There were the obligatory Grecian pillars and statues decorating the interior and exterior of the restaurant. While there is a lot of seating inside the restaurant, the tables are much too close together. When one person got up from a table, diners from other tables would have to move in order to let the person leave.

Mykonos Garden boasted a fairly long and well-priced wine list. However, the wine we ordered was not available, so we were brought a substitute which did not taste very good. My husband and I ordered from the prix fixe menu. For my starter, I ordered the Meze (a plate of different Greek foods), and my husband ordered the Calamari. When it arrived, my husband received 4 calamari rings and a bit of salad on the side. My Meze consisted of a meatball, stuffed grape leaf, a calamari ring, a suspicious-looking shrimp, and a couple other sides. There was way too much salt in all of the dips and the calamari - while cooked correctly and not chewy, had a very soggy beer batter-type breading to it.
Meze Platter

For our entrée, my husband and I both ordered souvlaki. When we received our dish, we were presented with a brochette of beef, orzo, and a side salad. The beef had not been marinated in any way, leading to it being extremely tough. I could only eat about 2 pieces of beef before I gave up and gave the rest to my husband. The only positive aspect about the beef was that it was cooked correctly to our requested wellness. Dessert was vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce. Nothing remarkable about it.
Souvlaki

The service was bad - even for Belgian standards. We had no less than 3 servers during the meal. Our first server disappeared after serving us wine. After that, we had to order with a different server - whom we had to flag down in order to take our order. One nice aspect of the dining experience was the live Greek music played by two talented older gentlemen.

All in all, I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. I give this restaurant a 2 out of 5 stars.

Mykonos Garden Greek Restaurant
http://www2.resto.be/mykonos/
Tel. : 02.762.44.29
Fax : 02.779.23.86
Av.J.-F.De Becker 160
1200 BRUSSELS ( WOLUWE-SAINT-LAMBERT )
Prices: For 2 people with a mid-range bottle of wine, expect to pay around 70 Euros
Reservations: Needed for the weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment